What is indigestion?
Indigestion, or dyspepsia (sometimes called functional dyspepsia) is a pain or uncomfortable feeling in the upper-middle part of your abdomen. You might feel too full after eating or unable to finish a meal because you feel full. You may also experience pain or burning in the upper region of your stomach. Some people also experience nausea or heartburn as well.
How to avoid indigestion
Indigestion is often linked with eating. Managing how much and what you eat will help you avoid indigestion and stomach discomfort. Try and take note of occasions when you tend to overindulge, and remind yourself to take it easy - your stomach will thank you!
Taking note of your eating habits is a good place to start to help prevent indigestion. You can try:
- Avoiding foods that you know trigger a stomach ache – if you are unsure what triggers your indigestion try to avoid fatty, fried or spicy foods and fizzy drinks
- Eating smaller, regular meals – these can be easier for your stomach to process, reducing the chance of bloating
- Avoid eating or drinking for 2 to 3 hours before lying down – the contents of your stomach is held there mainly by gravity, so lying down too soon after eating or drinking can result in the stomach contents heading back up the oesophagus.
What to do if you are experiencing indigestion
Medications can help alleviate the symptoms of indigestion. Gaviscon Dual Action works in two different ways to relieve the symptoms of heartburn and indigestion:
- The raft – the sodium alginate in Gaviscon Dual Action forms a thick layer (think of it like a soothing ‘raft’) on top of your stomach contents. The ‘raft’ then acts as a strong physical barrier that helps keep your stomach contents where they belong – in your stomach – and not in your oesophagus where they can cause discomfort and burning pain.
- The antacid – the antacid in Gaviscon Dual Action neutralises excess stomach acid to relieve the pain and discomfort of heartburn
For fast-acting relief from heartburn and indigestion, try Gaviscon Dual Action Liquid and experience relief that starts from 4 minutes!*
Gaviscon Dual Action is just one of several Gaviscon formulations. You'll find details of the
full range here.
Having indigestion or a stomach ache may simply be down to your lifestyle choices. However, if you are in any doubt or have any concerns, always check with your doctor.
*Strugula V, et al. 2010. [Sponsored by RB]
This medicine may not be right for you. Read the label before purchase. Follow the directions for use. If symptoms persist, talk to your health professional.
Article published January 1, 2021